Wondering how your laser eyewear is protecting you?
How Do Laser Glasses Protect the Eyes?
Laser safety glasses are essential for protecting your eyes during dangerous laser operations, but how do they work?Laser glasses attenuate (or filter/block) certain wavelengths of visible and/or invisible light by absorbing that light. Powders and dyes within the lenses as well as certain lens materials themselves will absorb specific wavelengths. The higher the concentration of powders and dyes, and the thicker the lens, the higher the attenuation.If you’re looking for laser safety glasses…
- You’ll want glasses that block your laser at the wavelength(s) it operates at.
- Your glasses need to attenuate your laser’s beam with the optical density (OD) required to protect yourself from that laser.
- A certified laser safety officer (LSO) at your facility will be able to advise you as to the required specifications of your safety glasses.
- The glasses themselves will have the protection they offer listed right on them.
- Laser safety glasses are absolutely necessary for the safe operation of most lasers.
If you’re unsure about whether your laser safety glasses are giving you the kind of protection you need, it’s best to speak with a resident Laser Safety Officer or give us a call. The last thing you want is to be caught unprotected when a laser beam or scattered laser radiation reaches your eyes. The result could be permanent eye damage or blindness.If you have any questions about laser safety glasses, what’s right for you, or whether you’re protected, give us a call or leave a comment below. Thanks for reading, and stay safe!